Sign in to follow this  
ensign_ro

love

Looking at Edmcgon's Avatar, right next to his sweet words, is kind of distracting. He has the look like he's saying to me " Listen up and Listen Good, or else!" Think I'll go drown myself in a big bowl of Cheerios :laugh: I'm so confused [ said Tiz ] :laugh:

i was interested to see some people's opinion on this subject. is love a biological urge or a spiritual quality? explain your opinion.

What is love? I do not have a clue, it confuses me all the time, but I think I found it about 2 years ago.. Let's just hope it's true.. :laugh:

Well, it seems this thread is concentrating on "romantic" love - and as others have stated it can be confused with attraction, lust etc.

The other types of love shouldn't be ignored.  In fact those can often be a source of comfort when romance goes sour - or the impetus to keep you going until time heals.

Chronic, people we love are the only ones that can hurt us - at the same time we can only hurt the people that love us.  If you still feel compassion for your ex-girlfriend it is because IMO you are experiencing a deeper kind of love - brotherly love perhaps.  That doesn't mean you should get back with her but the ability to feel compassion for another human being should be valued - so many people seem to lack that ability anymore.

I totally understand what others have said about giving up on love - when you're hurting it seems the only logical choice - a protection against future pain.  But when you shut those doors you shut out a lot more than the potential for pain.  A lot of potential for happiness stays out too.  AND, what I can say from experience - that choice isn't without consequences as well, you may find turning off your heart will in time bring another kind of pain.

Life can be difficult.  As far as I know - no one has died from a broken heart no matter how much they wanted to.  We recover and hopefully become stronger than the experience.  This world is in such pitiful shape precisely because so many have lost the ability to truly love their fellowman.  Whoa,  alright I'm done now.

i don't plan on getting back together with her. Trust is a big thing for me, and I can't trust her now. She'll have to earn that back, if she wants to. I just want to be there as a friend, brotherly love as it were. I sat my own romantic feelings about her aside for the greater good. It hurts to see her sometimes, but thats my ordeal to work through. I can control myself, as I did it before we ever got together for quite some time. I just don't think she needs to go through this by herself..and that's what she's been doing. She sits upstairs all alone every night. No one deserves to be alone, no matter what they have done, IMO

im with you chronic. no matter what the ex has done to me, i still care about her, and love her in a plutonic way. im there for her when she needs me, and sometimes shes there for me as well. but i loved her, so i can never not love her. i can never be with her again, but the love different as is it is, will always be there. to me there is no switch to love, you cant just turn it on and off.

im with you chronic. no matter what the ex has done to me, i still care about her, and love her in a plutonic way. im there for her when she needs me, and sometimes shes there for me as well. but i loved her, so i can never not love her. i can never be with her again, but the love different as is it is, will always be there. to me there is no switch to love, you cant just turn it on and off.

Hate to be cynical about Love, but there are some people who can turn it on and off to suit their purpose. And those especially skilled at turning your Love off too. :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

I hear that :laugh:

I missed this thread when it was a hot topic.  But I still think it's one I'd like to respond to.  For I don't believe many understand the implications of using this term when they declare their love for someone, including relatives.  Yes, there are different kinds of love....the love a parent is suppose to have for a child; the love siblings and other relatives are supposed to have for each other.....My understanding of love is that it is should be unconditional, not controlling.....and yet I have seen parents dis-own children who are gay, or have babies out of wedlock, or even who don't live up to their expectations.......In addition love means accepting imperfections, and health changes.  I have known husbands to leave their wives becasue they could not accept them after a mastectomy, or after they had been victims of rape.  I have known husbands and wives to be unfaithful and to justify this behavior saying, "it really didn't mean anything.".........One of the most powerful poems I have ever read about love is written in a book called "The Prophet.".......a verse form it reads...."think not that you can direct the course of love, for love if it finds you worthy, directs your course.......To me this means, if you say you love someone, prepare yourself for almost anything......For love reflects  this life we live.  If you can't handle all of the imperfections of this life stay away from love......For when you say "I love you to anyone".......you are saying, I am there for you......whether it is your child, your friend, your lover, spouse....whoever......you are also saying, I will not hurt or abuse you intentionally,  I accept you regardless, I will forgive your imperfections, I will be there for you during difficult times.....in other words, you can count on me.........I find especially when there is romantic love, couples get so caught up in the intimate aspects, that they forget that there is more to life than the intimacy. In fact much of their love is shallow and doesn't go far beyond the physical........if you ask them why they love the person....they can't tell you very much.........I know I'm writing too much here.......but LOVE  is a very powerful word.  It has a beautiful meaning.  And yet, I find some take it lightly; don't understand it, abuse it and use it as a means of  control.

i agree almost word for word.

At this point, honestly, I am so confused about Love. The feelings I have experienced lately have shaken my ideas about Love. I've been feeling things I have never experienced before in my life. An intellectual and emotional connection with another mind. I never thought this was possible. Every other aspect of this relationship screams 'NO' at me. But it's still there. Is this Love? I'm walking around like a Zombie, can't eat, can't sleep, bumping into things, forgeting things, I'm just not myself, and I DON'T SEEM TO CARE. It's like I'm in a trance, enchanted, floating in another place. This is insanity. Does Love make you insane? :laugh::laugh:

Hate to be cynical about Love, but there are some people who can turn it on and off to suit their purpose. And those especially skilled at turning your Love off too. B)

personally i dont think that you can turn it on or off, its just a feeling you have for someone. if someone can turn it on or off, then i dont think they are really "loving" someone. me and lisa are becoming better friends everyday. her boyfriend dumped her in a letter outta nowhere. and i have been there for her to call or go talk to if she needs, she knows i still love her, and she knows that im not getting back with her, just good friends. and i love it, that we can be friends like this. we get along so much better right now than we have in ages, pretty much better friends than spouses. but none the less i love her dearly and always will, just as a great friend now. so true love doesnt just go on and off like a light. IMHO

BTW

jeanway, yes it does make you feel insane at times. sometimes more than others. :P

It just occured to me that love is a 4 letter word, just something to think about. B)

Now what's THAT supposed to mean :P :naughty: