• I hate them: they should be deleted
    • I hate them: some should be deleted
    • I hate them: but I don't mind them being around
    • I like them: there isn't enough of them
    • I like them: there are just enough of them
    • I like them: there are too many
    • No opinion
    • Other

Lately there have been a million name games going. They flood the "view new posts" section to the brim. Frankly, it annoys me a little. I wouldn't mind if they were a good use of time or interesting to read. But to me, they just seem like the "busy work" of our posts. They require no thought. They don't provoke any thought. And they just get in the way. I think they should be erased from the existence of this site. I think that they probably detract from the posting of quality topics. How about you?

Disclaimer: Any offense you may take to my extreme position of name games is the sole fault of yourself. As such, any ill feelings on your part are in no manner the fault of myself, or my affiliates.

Edited by Captain Bolivar

I didn't use to mind them, but since there are so many now, I'm starting to not like them so much. They annoy me also for the fact that they flood the new posts page. I've had to find new, creative ways to find substantial posts that I might be interested in.

I love them i guess i am one of the people who is to blame i

play them alot but i didnt think people minded that much but

i shall play less and give other threads the chance to be read :blink:

if people want to play them let them, but i have a feeling that alot of the people just play them to get more and more posts.. so maybe take away the games from counting towards posts.. this site is amazing and has a load of intresting posts im still discovering new things i love this site and to me its alot more than a place to play games

I like them, they're fun. Especially when the board is slow.

They require no thought. They don't provoke any thought.

They're games, they're meant just for fun.

They flood the "view new posts" section to the brim

So do crew promotions when they come up. Should we get rid of them?

I think they should be erased from the existence of this site.

Don't count on it.

Before you take offense remember your own disclaimer

I sorta like them (contributed 1 myself), but I don't like it when topics are used only as a way to increase a post count (i.e.- padding). 25% of my posts are in there, because I think some games are fun,,, but only if I have to put a little thought into them (Dream Teams, 20 Questions, etc), or if they can help us learn about or encourage other members (Yes or No, The first few days of Say something nice...).

I've had the same thought as SVulcan before - make the posts there not count towards a member's total like in Vic's Place. That would cut down on some of the less thought-provoking activity in there.It's just that since there are now over 1000 members, it can get a little crowded in there. Count isn't all that important to me, so I wouldn't mind a bit if I lost that fourth of my posts. That's just my opinion on it. :)

The short-term solution that someone has brought up before is a customizable "New Posts" setting, that would allow people to ignore certain forums when looking for new posts, if that type of setting even were to exist (I don't use the New Posts pg anyway; I just go through the board as a whole).

It all just depends on what the majority thinks, and what VBG and co. are willing to do. I'm happy either way. :)

I like them, they're fun. Especially when the board is slow.
They require no thought. They don't provoke any thought.

They flood the "view new posts" section to the brim

I think they should be erased from the existence of this site.

Don't count on it.

AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE CAUSE RC SAID SO!!!!!! :)

Yeah, I know but I like games that at least have a challenge and require some thought. For example: a food name game might go like this. Ice cream.... anyone can think of another food ending in m. So whats the point of the game? To mindlessley comp up with a food starting with m? Just not fun to me.

I think that is different. Encouraging people is all part of how any community works. But, I still don't like how they flood the "view new posts" when there are alot.

Um, that disclaimer was a joke. I don't think anyone would really take offense to something non-controversial like name games so I thought it would be appropriate. So my question is: were you offended by the disclaimer or is your retort just one of playful sarcasm? Oh, and don't worry, I don't take offense to hardly anything here. I wouldunless someone made a harsh personal attack but that has never happened.

Edited by Captain Bolivar

As far as post padding goes the game room is the only ligit place on the board to do it. It keeps people from post padding on other more important topics.

Yes that's certainly true! Personally, I don't understand why people would do the post padding thing. All it would get them is a better rank. In general I like to write longer, more meaningfull posts. Padding, IMO, is just a waste of time. As you can see from my rank, and when I first joined, I don't care about my rank. In fact, I think I"d rather stay as a captain.

I play, just for the hell of it. Yes i like improving my rank, but I like to make me think in different ways.

My fave game is actually benificial, it the say something about the person above you game.

I have met ppl through it and also end up feelling better about myself, because i am saying nice things about another person.

I agree with Bolivar. They're pointless. I come here mostly to talk Trek, though I'll get involved in discussions on other topics I'm interested in. The games feel like spam to me. There are so many other things I could do that would be way more fun that it's hard to even start to compile a list.

I Think they are a good Deversion.So in that.I think they are ok.

I agree with Bolivar.  They're pointless.  I come here mostly to talk Trek, though I'll get involved in discussions on other topics I'm interested in.  The games feel like spam to me.  There are so many other things I could do that would be way more fun that it's hard to even start to compile a list.

i was going to say something but nah i dont want the stress.

There is a very easy way to make sure those games don't annoy you. Don't play them. For the rest of us who enjoy them, let us enjoy them.

I kind of enjoy the games. They allow me to interact with people here in a fun way.

I'm not interested in increasing a rank. I joined this site to meet people who have a simular interest in Star Trek as I do.

I apologize for my part in clogging up the new post page.

There is a very easy way to make sure those games don't annoy you. Don't play them. For the rest of us who enjoy them, let us enjoy them. 

RC I don't think no one is complaining about them being, just them spamming up the new post section. I like posting in them from time to time but I think maybe they shouldn't be put up on the new posts page so then everyone is happy :)

RC I don't think no one is complaining about them being, just them spamming up the new post section. I like posting in them from time to time but I think maybe they shouldn't be put up on the new posts page so then everyone is happy :huh:

Yeah that makes sense. I don't know if that's possible or not. Reading through this again I sounded kinda snippy, sorry 'bout that. I didn't mean to come off rude.

I agree with you Rikerchick,if you don't like them the simple thing is don't play them,personally I love them they are fun to do and you get to know the person who play's them at the same time as you.

I will def keep playing them :huh:

I voted i like them:there are just enough. I dont like them when theres too many cause it takes the fun out of them but when there are just enough. :huh:

I like this smiley :huh:

Yes, that's true, if one doesn't like them they should play them. But just now I kind of noticed something else. I've been waiting for a reply to an interesting topic. And for some reason nobody has anything to say. I kept refreshing the home page and watching the recent posts section and the name games were flooding it. This means that people are just playing name games and not taking the time to actually talk about something. I come to this site to have meaningful conversations and now it's starting to seem like nobody is talking about anything... just posting in name games. Earlier I was wondering if it was fair to say that the name games should be deleted because some people like them, and it isn't fair to take away something people like. But now, I think that the name games are taking away from something I like: conversation. So while I think you should be able to enjoy them, I think at the same time, the quality of converation should be brought back! If people who played the name games made as many posts as they would if they didn't spend time playing them I wouldn't really mind that name games are played, but I really doubt that is the case. Time is limited in our days, and the time people are spending on name games must be subtracting time from posts with actual writting and conversation.