Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Across The Quadrant In 70 Years

Had Voyager NOT had 10 years knocked off its journey every now and then, and in the end they had to make it home the old fasioned way...would they have made it? 70 years travelling through space? Would the crew have all died and faded away or would they have successfully created a generational ship as it were? Would it have been fair to raise all these children on Voyager? Voyager - the next Generation? A crew of gripey young people who have never had a proper home flying through space to mythical earth, that the oldies go on about! Endless battles etc. Ancient Ensign Harry Kim (ha! Ensign!) I think that without the help of Kes and catapults and Admiral Janeway they would never have actually made it in the end. They would have just got tired and given up....

It's hard to say. They might have ended up just finding a good class M planet to live on, because I think after 70 years their luck with the Borg, Hirogen, and who knows what else would eventually run out.

Long before then I think it would be fair to state that the Federation would come up with some new warp technology, whether it would be trans-warp or something else, in which they could get Voyager home faster.

though I like Voyager I dont think I could cope with Voyager the next generation. thats just to strange for me!!

but that brings up a good point. If I remember corectly the crew did talk mostly about finding an M-class planet and calling it home. ;)

Would you have felt safer if you had've been on the Enterprise D and IT got stranded 70 years away from home? Rather than on Voyager? For some reason I feel that the Enterprise is more like a big fortress than Voyager.

If memory serves me correctly, didn't they land on a planet with an Earth-like population? I think it was at the beginning of season 2 in "The 37s." Janeway gave the crew the option to stay, but no one did of course. Wow...that was only in season 2! I believe that inhabiting an earth-like planet would have been their best option. Like what was said before, their luck was going to run out sometime, be it with them or their children.

If memory serves me correctly, didn't they land on a planet with an Earth-like population?  I think it was at the beginning of season 2 in "The 37s."  Janeway gave the crew the option to stay, but no one did of course.  Wow...that was only in season 2!  I believe that inhabiting an earth-like planet would have been their best option.  Like what was said before, their luck was going to run out sometime, be it with them or their children.

The 37s was originally shown as part of season 2 but was supposed to be the last episode of season 1. It actually makes more sense as last episode of season 1 as we end with Janeway getting all emotional and sayin something like "take us home..." :wub:

I think they would probably have been destroyed by someone, maybe the borgs.. They can't be lucky all the time..

That makes sense Stelfan. Also over the course of 70 years how many of the crew would die or be killed with no replacements available. There certainly didn't seem to be many children on board - not enough to replace crew in the case of emergencies.

I think they would probably have been destroyed by someone, maybe the borgs.. They can't be lucky all the time..

Talk about your pesimissim, whatever happened to the spirit of humankind. I really think that VOY would of made it 70 years, but if they didnt they would of settled on a planet and called it their home. Eventually they would start from scrach and create a new Earth in the Delta Quadrant.

Remember that VOY would of probably recieved MEGA help from Q even their normal rutine search for hope.

I do not think that they would have made it. Maybe they would have kept going until the "new generation" took over, but then there would not have been as much longing for earth, as the crew at that time would never have been there.

:laugh: They would of made it, after all Q had a thing for Janeway. He would not have left them there if he thought they would not have made it on their own. :bow:

But why would the original crew's descendants continue towards a planet they had no attachment to? They would be better off just settling down somewhere.

Just 1 generation removed from Earth, I believe would have an attachment instilled in them by their parents. The children would want to complete their parents mission and return to their parents home planets. Plus don't forget that there are other races on the ship aside from human, and in the lifespan of humans is longer as well. Doctor McCoy was something like 120 or 130 in TNG's qst episode. So it's possible a good portion of the crew would still be alive after 70 years. There's at least 2 Vulcans on board and we can assume both of them will still be alive.

Alive but not reproducing. Tuvoc had that degenerative brain disorder that wasn't curable even back in the Alpha quadrant. And Voric wasn't exactly the ladies man, B'elana showed that.

Besides, if it did turn into a generational ship I'm sure half the crew would eventually be named Paris. :)

I believe they would have eventually made it home. But I also think that to do so, Janeway would have to be a bit lenient on her "no trading technology" policy and trade some technology for an additional ship or two. More ships means room to grow in (70 years means enough time for 3 full generations) as well as superior defenses (safety in numbers).

I think if Voyager had not contacted the federation when they did they would have given up and I remember a episode when they gave a romulan from the past a message to try and send to the future federation. but nomody knew if he lived long to pass it to someone who would have had the lifespan to send it.

I think they would have given up and used the ship to build shelters and lived on a new planet and call it new Earth

Most would not have personally. Most people that came back would be their children and descendants. Kes would not have made it.

The main characters that had the best shot of actually making it 70 years for Voyager to come home are: Tuvok (and the other surviving Vulcans, if any), B'Elanna, Naomi Wildman and the Borg kids.

Edited by Krothos