Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Across The Quadrant In 70 Years

Had Voyager NOT had 10 years knocked off its journey every now and then, and in the end they had to make it home the old fasioned way...would they have made it? 70 years travelling through space? Would the crew have all died and faded away or would they have successfully created a generational ship as it were? Would it have been fair to raise all these children on Voyager? Voyager - the next Generation? A crew of gripey young people who have never had a proper home flying through space to mythical earth, that the oldies go on about! Endless battles etc. Ancient Ensign Harry Kim (ha! Ensign!) I think that without the help of Kes and catapults and Admiral Janeway they would never have actually made it in the end. They would have just got tired and given up....

I think that the Star Trek universe needs constant change. That is why TNG, DS9, and Voyager lasted seven seasons. Its a sort of policy. Of course, I'm just going off my own thoughts here. I think they always knew that Voyager would get back in seven years. I mean they already had the 7-season policy with TNG (and later with DS9) and they had the realtime thing down (when a season passes, a year goes by in the show) All the shortcuts were just to squeeze it together

I actually think the worst thing the PTB did was get Voyager home in End Game. It sealed the fate of the shows future shut, meaning no movies. They should have left the possibility of getting home for a movie.

I di understand them not wanting to leave the show hanging with no new episodes coming though.

Yes, I do believe they would have made it eventually, with or without help. I'm glad that they ended it the way they did. I was never a fan of the "Lost In Space" theme and questioned it right up to the final year. I really did believe that the producers would leave us hanging and have them never get home but that would have left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Speculationwise, I also think that it would have turned into a generational ship with very little of the original crew surviving the journey. This would have been fine and actually would have opened the door to a number of storyline possibilities as to who would have mated with whom and so on.

I don't think I could ever see Voyager settling on a planet. There would be no purpose, no mission to strive for. The only reason they got back so early is because of the transwarp hub.

I dont think they should have settled either. That would have taken away the entire point! The WHOLE show they strive against all odds to get home and then "hmm, lets rest on a planet""ok." the end. YA RIGHT! ok, done...

Still, I didn't like End Game, though. I mean, what about all those people VOY might have had an efect on in those extra years? Just erase that? Not to mention that it's going COMPLETELY against the PD, but it's WRONG and UNFAIR! I thought the episode was good, and the very ENDING (disregarding how they got there) was also good. But I don;t think that even a future Janeway would have done that, and I didn't like what is stood for, so I wasn't happy with that episode.

In answer to you're question, Prometheus, I think it would have been interesting for a future generation of Vogagers, though...

Voygagers? lol! silly me...

Edited by dsbs

I see what you mean dsbs, however, reading your complaint about it actually gave me a deeper appreciation of it than I had before.

I now think it was about consequence, a exploration of the Kobie-a-she maru (<sp?) There was no right or wrong, she had to make a choice and she did, she faced the ultimate question of the lesser of two evils.

In the first way it happened people's lives were different than she thought they should have been so she changed the way other's lives played out so that her friends could get back what they had lost.

Make any sense? Anyone?

I understand that, but I thought it was unfair to mess with so many other peoples lives just because she didn't like the way hers turned out...

I think Janeway did what she did becuase she lost everyone close to her. Mark remarried, Tuvok when insane, Seven died on an away mission, and Chakotay had died after they got back. What she did was for her crew, and she just decided she didn't care how it'd effect everyone else.

From a captain's point of view, I would have done the same.

From a time traveler's view, I'd throw her but in prison! :D

From the 29th century (seen in 3 episodes) good guys... What Janeway did was changer history in her own time, before they existed. That's why they didn't try to fix it.

I can understand why she did it, I guess, but I think it was still a little selfish. She's still my fav character, though...

5 years ago... have you read over what you wrote in here like 5 years ago, it's funny what you thought about...

5 years ago... have you read over what you wrote in here like 5 years ago, it's funny what you thought about...

I haven't been here for 5 years yet but I do feel a certain sadness reading these old posts because many of them are made by members who used to be here regularly and for some reason faded away never to be heard from again.

:laugh: Times and people change, I like coming to read the posts and sometimes put in my 2cents worth. Even though I miss some of the people the ones still here are just great :angry:

I think they would have eventually made it back, maybe not in Voyager though. It's pretty advanced for the time, but I'm sure she'll start wearing out eventually and need to be replaced.

I think they would have made it back. But it would be quite interesting as only the eldely crew would remember (as in star trek people live to be 100+), but there children, grandchildren wouldn't. So it would be quite diffucult for the next generations to adapt to live on earth after growing up on Voyager.

I haven't been here for 5 years yet but I do feel a certain sadness reading these old posts because many of them are made by members who used to be here regularly and for some reason faded away never to be heard from again.

I think that this is one of the posts which has moved back to the fore again that was discussed re the change of skin etc. Is it anything to do with the 2003 looking like 2008? The dates/months are almost 5 years spot on?

Yeah, there are some peeps who just dropped off the edge of the monitor never to be heard from again, some you miss more than others