Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

Read my post and then poll away

Read my post, then the options, and then vote!  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Read my post, then the options, and then vote!

• The below idea is a good one
    • The below idea is a bad one
    • I'm unsure
    • I have a better idea (explain please)
    • I think it needs some tweaking (explain please)
    • Why come up with idea's like these? (feel free to choose this)
    • TO POLL OR NOT TO POLL!

Okay, what if in the not so distant future they made a 6th series and TPTB didn't want to do the old "ship in space" format so they opted to do something on Earth. At the same time, TPTB didn't want to isolate the characters from interesting envioronments, so they add in a peice of alien technology that allows people to jump from Earth to any place in the galaxy. This idea is a merging of Stargate with Star Trek. You may say this is a rip off, but then again, Star Trek is a rip off or Jules Verne's idea of travelling through space. This idea wouldn't mean there would be other gates on other planetes and humans from ancient civilizations on those planets. It would just be a device that could "transport" people over longer distances without having to bother with ships. Anywho, I think that could have promise maybe.

I think you change the traveling to other planets to other dimensions and you may have something there. We've already seen them alter transporters to go to one alternate reality, I'd like to see more along this line.

Fenriz's idea is nice, so long as they do not give up the ships. Those are what really made Star Trek. No offense, Bolivar, but I like Star Trek the way it is.

I like it the way it is too... and I take no offense. I wouldn't suggest never using a ship in this show. But I think someday, if people get tired of the ships always being used in Star Trek, this could be a way of adding a new element.

How about the Iconian Transporter Gate?

Yes we know that Gate was destroyed by Picard but what if they found another one? Or better yet, we know Picard must have filed a report on those incidents, what if a brilliant young Federation scientist saw the report and started thinking of ways to build a new prototype by combining transporter technology with, oh, I don’t know, something? (little help?) Artificial black hole? Sceince must have made some progress in that area by then but even if not who cares, it's sci-fi!

Alterego! Well done for bringing some finer points of my idea! The Iconian gate idea would be ideal for such a show. Once again, nice thinking! Also, Sisko could have reports as well because there was that time that the Dominion tried to make use of Iconian gates.

I have a better idea (explain please)

It sounds too much like Stargate. The whole appeal to me is that the show is on a space ship or space station. Set it on a planet and I'd rather go to watch Stargate instead. A better idea would be to have a small civilian ship, and instead of a new adventure of the week, spend a number of episodes at each world. Perhaps a science vessel, with the conflict being set down on the planet or with aliens who're after their research or trying to keep them away from the planet. :blink:

How about the Iconian Transporter Gate?

Yes we know that Gate was destroyed by Picard but what if they found another one? Or better yet, we know Picard must have filed a report on those incidents, what if a brilliant young Federation scientist saw the report and started thinking of ways to build a new prototype by combining transporter technology with, oh, I don’t know, something? (little help?) Artificial black hole? Sceince must have made some progress in that area by then but even if not who cares, it's sci-fi!

There was a book series (without phenomenal reviews) written very similar, I don't think it was the iconians, but sounds very similar. It was called Gateways and I think it was 7-books but I'm not 100% sure.

Gateways #1: One Small Step (Star Trek)

Description:

"Scattered throughout the galaxy are Gateways capable of transporting matter and energy across unfathomable distances. Left behind by a long-vanished civilization, these mysterious portals offer a means of exploration -- or conquest -- many times faster than warp travel. The technology responsible for the Gateways has been lost for at least ten millennia, but that doesn't mean it can't be found again....

Having defeated the hostile computer program guarding an abandoned Kalandan outpost, Kirk and his crew are exploring the artificial planetoid in hopes of discovering the secret of an ancient apparatus that has hurled the Starship Enterprise™ over nearly a thousand light-years. Unfortunately, the reactivated Gateway has attracted the attention -- and avarice -- of various alien explorers, including a mysterious race who claim to be none other than the enigmatic Kalandans themselves! "

Im unsure. I mean im a stargate fan and a startrek fan and yeah i guess id like to watch it but i do think that some people might be against it due to stargate having that idea first and it is one of the worlds most successful sci-fi shows but so is star trek.

so im unsure. :huh: