Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Picard Vs Janeway

Who's the best?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best?

• Captain Jean Luc Picard
    • Captain Katherine Janeway

Enough of this debate. I say we make two out of three falls out in the parking lot. Winner take all.

:D Janeway and Picard brawling in the parking lot? OMG, I'd pay ten bars of latinum to see that....ok, taking bets...who will win? :D :devil:

:D Janeway and Picard brawling in the parking lot? OMG, I'd pay ten bars of latinum to see that....ok, taking bets...who will win? :D  :devil:

I actually have a bar of latinum, a bottle of Romulan Ale too thanks to Amy (Luvin1stdegree).

In a fight though, I think Kirk (Kirk of the 60's) would take both of them.

It would depend on which year Picard, remember in one season he could (almost) kick a couple Klingons rumps but later, he was no match for Soran.

I cant wait to see Archer decide new "fighting techniques" are necessary, I want to see the development of Cowboy Diplomacy which of course, Kirk later puts to good use, but I want Archer to be responsible for creating that style.

Prometheus, who were you in st.com? (I think it's pretty obvious who I was...I didn't change my name)

It would depend on which year Picard, remember in one season he could (almost) kick a couple Klingons rumps but later, he was no match for Soran.

Or how about the Nausicaan butts he kicked until he was stabbed in Tapestry.

I chose Picard.

I personally think that he has better leader ship skills and that he can command and control a force working with him in a better manor then that of Janeway. He seems to have a better sense of or over all generality of understanding logic and deductive reasoning (sometimes you have Picard look at the computer with lots of other people including Data and then Picard says “That’s it!” . . . . next everyone says “What? I don’t follow?” . . . . This example shows that he is a very smart person and has a very good reasoning skill)

I also believe that he is a better diplomat in general . . .. .

And so on

For Janeway getting promoted as some people have said “He probably took Kirk’s advise” and that advise was not to let ‘them’ (Starfleet) promote him (Picard). Picard is an explorer at heart and I don’t think he really wants to leave a ship

When I look at the two I can say that Picard is better in an overall sense to my mind at least. But please don’t get me wrong Janeway has some great qualities too!

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Or how about the Nausicaan butts he kicked until he was stabbed in Tapestry.

Good point, well taken.

I voted for Janeway, because she had to handle everything on her own. She did not have Starfleet to back her up. Picard would have done well in the same situation, but he did have Starfleet within reach.

I voted for Picard, granted they both have that tough as nails, take charge attitude, and Janeway did a great job getting her crew home, IMO the character of Janeway could have been played/been by anyone, I can't imagine anyone as Captain on TNG other than Picard, he is a true leader and a great Diplomat, a skill that I think Janeway lacks.

:laugh:Personally I think comparing the two captains is like comparing "Oil and Water." They were both so different....so unique in every way. Both were great leaders. Both carried out their missions. Both had individual personalities. So both responded to their tasks and challenges in different ways. It's all a matter of preference, NOT who was the better captain. Of course as a Voyager fan my preference would be for Captain Janeway. But that doesn't make her a better captain. It just means that I liked her better. :look:

Maybe a lot of people here are stating the actor they preferred rather than the character...

I think Patrick Stewart is an amazing actor but I am definitely voting based on Picard and not the actor.

Kate Mulgrew is a very talented actress too but I'm not as familiar with her as I am with Picard as I haven't seen as much Voyager as I have TNG.

I think that, along with what Prometheus said, that's probably another reason why Janeway's gettting slaughtered - there are way more TNG fans than VOY fans!

I stick with Janeway, though...

i would have to go with picard over janeway to me she should've never been captain, i dont like her pretty much at all. i cant explain it but she bugs me sooooo much. but i would vote for sisko over them all if he was up there, followed by archer. but between the two, picard all the way. as the actor and the captain.

Everyone knows that Capt.Picard would run circles around Capt. Janeway. :innocent:

You know I speak the truth. :devil:

They don't come any better then Picard. No offense to Janeway of course...

Precisely. And Janeway was always risking the crew's lives to get them home, whereas for Picard, the crew basically came first.

The difference between Picard and Janeway is that it took a whole series for Janeway to get her crew home, while Picard would have got his crew back by the end of the episode!  :blink:

yepper, picard would've found a way to use the array to get home, and destroy it before others could do bad things with it. all in one two part episode. janeway bombed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest johny speed

^ lol at last post. true, but then again on the next epy after tng would have been home they would have been off sorting out diplomatic relationships with a far away planet.

I think Janeway is better cas of a point that has already been made. Picard always had starfleet there were as Janeway did it all by herself with her crew.

they are both great captains

I personaly could not see picard be the captain of Voyager and Janeway being the Captain of the Enterprise.

cas they are best suited to the roles that were set out to them.

Picard an ever changing missions from one epy to the next, from rouge klingon ships to diplomatic peace talks, every epy (bar the two parters) a totaly differant thing.

Janeway with her one goal just to get home.

btw I did not vote cas I like them both for there own qualities, so I posted instead.

Well, it's hard to tell...

Janeway is good, since she had to maintain the peace in a Starfleet/Maquis crew. Which was something hard to accomplish.

But, they were in so different situation.. It's really really hard to tell.