Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Picard Vs Janeway

Who's the best?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best?

• Captain Jean Luc Picard
    • Captain Katherine Janeway

Both have grappled with the Borg and Q. Both have encountered new races. But who was best? I vote Janeway, surprisingly! I know, Picard was a real winner. He has saved the galaxy loads of times and has dealt with situations brilliantly, etc etc. But I still think Janeway had a strength of character that stood up well after she was deposited 70 years away from home. Picard probably would have dealt just as well. No doubt, if i had to be stranded on any ship i would choose the Enterprise to be there with me. But Janeway... i dont know. She was the better Captain (ouch, im gonna suffer for this one

Yeah, I disagree. I voted Picard. Overall, I think I would have liked to serve with him as my Captain rather than Janeway. His character is just more charismatic.

Both have their strengths and captain their ships rather differently.

Picard is very worried about maintaining peace and he always trys to negotiate and will only attack another ship in extreme circumstances. He is very closed with his personal life and tends to keep things professional as much as possible. He doesn't get mad easily but when he does, he becomes very powerful and authoratative. He's also more of an explorer than Janeway. Picard would get giddy over a new spieces or nebula where as Janeway would be interested, but not at the same level as Picard. Also, you would never see Picard sitting around, chatting it up, having a drink in Ten Forward with his crew.

Janeway on the other hand is more willing to show Voyager's power. She doesn't have any problems fighting back and doesn't hesitate like Picard does. She gets agitated a lot easier and doesn't worry about diplomacy as much as Picard. Initially she'll try it, but if it fails, it's no more mr. nice guy in a manner of speaking... she'll let you know that she hates you. On one hand she is more friendly with her crew, often showing up in the mess hall and being particpative in social gatherings, however, at the same time she is more strict than Picard with her crew. If you break the rules there are no ifs, ands, or buts, you will get punished (e.g. Paris losing a rank and sitting in the brig), where as Picard would let you try and justify it. She runs the ship in a more relaxed manner but when a given situation becomes serious, she is as strong and powerful as Picard in her own way.

So with that being said, I vote for Picard haha.

Ooooooh, that one's hard. I love them both! I went with Janeway cause I just love her personality, But I think they're both fabulous captains, just in different ways.

I vote Janeway only because she had more to deal with then Picard. I mean she was out in an area of space that had not been explored by starfleet yet. Picard was mostly doing circles around already been seen space with every now and then runing into the Borg (with the not so much HELP from Q)

My question is why did janeway get promoted before Picard? I have asked this before in st.com but think about it......

Picard (and crew) has distroyed every ship in his comand!! yet starfleet still gives him more ships !!! I would have put him behind a desk after the first 2 ships haha and Janeway who has one ship for what 7 or so years, has had the borg assimilate it and other misss haps done to it comes home and ta da was promoted!!! I think I would have had her still out in the field sorta speak.

what does any one else think ???? ;);)

Each definitely have their strong points.

I've said it before, if I were in Starfleet I would have no hesitation to place my life in the hands of Picard. That's why I voted for him.

My question is why did janeway get promoted before Picard?  I have asked this before in st.com but think about it......

Picard (and crew) has distroyed every ship in his comand!! yet starfleet still gives him more ships !!! I would have put him behind a  desk after the first 2 ships

;);)

I think Picard would be a great Admiral and should have been promoted a long time ago. Yet another reason I think Future Imperfect was a better future then Nemesis. Picard was promoted and Riker had the Enterprise. Seems more likley then the whole bridge crew still being on the Enterprise 15 years after it started. ;)

I don't think Picard wanted to be promoted. Remember he turned down a promotion in the first season when he was offered the position at the Academy.

I also think he took Kirk's advice in Generations - never let them promote you and take you off the bridge of your ship.

Both have grappled with the Borg and Q. Both have encountered new races. But who was best? I vote Janeway, surprisingly! I know, Picard was a real winner. He has saved the galaxy loads of times and has dealt with situations brilliantly, etc etc. But I still think Janeway had a strength of character that stood up well after she was deposited 70 years away from home. Picard probably would have dealt just as well. No doubt, if i had to be stranded on any ship i would choose the Enterprise to be there with me. But Janeway... i dont know. She was the better Captain (ouch, im gonna suffer for this one

I wont make you suffer prometheus! I completely agree. Janeway's my favourite captain. She was brilliant, kind, and, as you said, she had a strong character. Although I liked TNG better as a seires, Janeway was much more unpredictable and fun to watch than Picard, although there were some similarities between the two (like they were both very close with the rest of the crew, and they were very caring and passionate).

Picard wasn't bad, but i really disliked him in the first 2 seasons. IGNORING those seasons, he's a wonderful character, but I'd still have to say Janeway

(IMO!!!)

My question is why did janeway get promoted before Picard?  I have asked this before in st.com but think about it......

Picard (and crew) has distroyed every ship in his comand!! yet starfleet still gives him more ships !!! I would have put him behind a  desk after the first 2 ships haha and Janeway who has one ship for what 7 or so years, has had the borg assimilate it and other misss haps done to it comes home and ta da was promoted!!! I think I would have had her still out in the field sorta speak. 

what does any one else think ???? ;)  ;)

I think, yes, that Picard had turned down promotion in the past. Also he seems to know a lot of Admirals as friends which would suggest they have all moved up to that level at the same time so he could have, possibly, been up there too. Star Fleet may feel that he serves a better purpose out in space whereas Janeway may be better at Star Fleet Command as she has extensive knowledge of the Delta Quadrant and would be quite valuable. If they could send ships to the Delta Quadrant though, would she become a captain again and go out there? That would be the next question!

Picard is da man..alright that's not much of an argument..I believe him to be the ideal turnout from the academy, even if he had to wrestle personal demons but when it came down to it, he would pull through whereas in my opinon Janeway was so concentrated on getting home she was always on that path in whatever battle she was in..I feel that Picard was much more in control and respected then Janeway.

both patrick stewart and picard are awesome!! BUT.....theres something really cool and awesome about janeway....i like her! shes spicy, and smart and kicks *buttocks*...unfortunately, i reallllllly dont care much for her bridge crew.....she was by far the best thing about voyager i think!

Picard is of course the winner of this poll.. I would much rather server with him since he isn't the same warmonger as Janeway, Picard would never attack anyone unless there are extreme circumstances..

Picard (and crew) has distroyed every ship in his comand!! yet starfleet still gives him more ships !!! what does any one else think ???? ;)  ;)

Picard has been offered to rise in the ranks, but he doesn't want to.. He loves to be an explorer, and captain and i think that is where he fits best..

Yet Janeway, as i dont think is as good captain as Picard, has extended knowledge from the Delta Quadrant, and I think she much more likes a desk then to risk being lost again ;)

Picard is of course the winner of this poll.. I would much rather server with him since he isn't the same warmonger as Janeway, Picard would never attack anyone unless there are extreme circumstances..

On the VOY board I posted my thoughts about how I saw Janeway as "Janice Lester WITHOUT the psychosis", After considering what you say here I could have been a bit hasty with that statement. ;) Perhaps there is more Janice in Janeway than I thought…. Wait! Janice-Janeway. Hmmm

I voted for Picard.. Once again I havn't really watched anything besides TNG.... I like Janeway in her own way(no pun intended) she was the first MAIN character woman Captain... Picard is/was and will be GREAT!!! when someone says Captain who do you think of??? I think of Picard... ;) any way just wanted to addmy little thing...

all hail Bev!! ;)

I voted Picard too. Maybe its because i'm more of TNG fan then a voyager fan, i don't know. But picard is all around a great guy, and an excellent captain, and i think patrick stewart does a wonderful job of playing him

I voted Picard, but i have to say that towards the end of the show, where Janeway was less hesitant to give people one warning and then if they did not listen, shove her fist down their throat (ie, fire..attack..) I really liked that.

I don't see that as being a war monger, i see it as having lives that you have been entrusted with and come hell or high warp she was going to get them home. She was on task, determined. I respect that.

Remember when they ran across that other ship that had also been pulled there (Equinox or something) and they were a wreck. thay did not stand up to the pressure. I think it was Janeway who was the major reason that Voyager did!

I don't mean this the way it sounds, but I think that Picard was a bit too leinient...I mean, there's an alien they've never met before with its shields up, scannign them or something, and he's like "just leave the shields down, etc", you know? (I sound like a two year old with my wonderfully constructed sentenses. oh well, here me out). It caused at least a few problems that might not of happened otherwise. On the other hand, I admire his trust and willingness to give people a second chance (I DO think Janeway showed herself to be willing to give people second chances too). Also, Janeway was in completely unknown territory with no hope of federation aid, and a small crew who were all desparate to get home. What was she supposed to do? (this is my way of saying i don't think she was a war-monger either). I liked her feistyness, but I suppose you COULD say they went just a little tiny itsy bitsy bit over board in trying to make a non-sexist female character...although I think that wasnt what they meant to do at all.

(off topic warning)

remember the one where she liked the holodeck character...

"oh and computer...delete the wife." I loved that.

I voted for Picard. I just like him better. Janeway is pretty cool too.

Did anyone see any chemestry between Picard & Janeway in NEMESIS?  They could deffinately work together in a mixed cast movie! :D

Chemistry - I think you were imagining it. I didn't see anything special between them. She was a viewscreen, there was no real interaction. She wasn't even there when he filmed his part. I understand Patrick Stewart was present when Kate Mulgrew filmed her cameo - reading his lines off camera.

Captain Jean Luc - have you ever been in Startrek.com and if so, what was your name? I hope you aren't who I think you are. Bevfank - havent seen you for a while! Love the new hair pic!

Bevfank - havent seen you for a while! Love the new hair pic!

I agree, love that new avatar. She looks great in it!

I did not notice anything but respect between J and JLP in Nemesis. I don't think i would go for them as a pair.