Sign in to follow this  
Guest OrionGirlFan

What sets VOYAGER apart?

The reason why I think voyager is set apart from all of the other star trek series is that for one this was the first and only star trek series that actually had a female captain and that they were lost in the Delta quadrant. This made the crew very much close nit. This made it it a series that had set it apart from all of the others.

A Borg Queen ruins the Collective, she's a center in a decentralized society.  She's their weakness. 

I also have a problem with Voyager being lost.  They knew exactly where they were, they knew where to go, it would just take them a long time to get there.

not exactly, IMHO :theforce:

1. Whether or not she's a weakness, depends on what their purpose is, if they are a bunch of mindless conquerors, then I agree, she is a weakness.

But the Borg aren't conquerors, their primary goal is to seek perfection & bring quality of life to others, not waging destruction mindlessly or conquering territory.

The perfection they are seeking, includes almost everything, including individuality.

The Queen is the representation of Individuality a way of thinking unlike any computerized thinking.

another reason for a Queen, like i said she do not think in a computerized thinking, this is essential for the Collective, because computerized thinking alone cannot avoid or solve problems that doesn't matches with protocols.

They need someone who can think against protocols. Without it, the Borg may be extinct long ago, because of their lack understanding.

Example:

Species 8472 war, if the Borg just followed protocols, they would assimilate Voyager no matter what the crew said to them, that way they "will" loose an advantage to winning the war, & they will be destroyed in a matter of months.

But the Queen is not the only one that thinks off protocol, she like i said, represents the individual part of the Collective. There is however a collective group that also thinks outside the protocols, They represent the Collective Hive-mind leader.

A 2nd in command to say. They & her normally discuss on things, plans, etc.

Here's an example a Queen is quite resourceful.

Wolf 359 - Locutus in charge, 39 & more if there's more, are easily defeated because he knows the types of defenses the Federation may use.

ST:FC - The Queen is in charge, that Cube manage to take out 1 force & some of the ones protecting earth, until an anomaly comes in "The Sovereign Class" which helps defeat the Cube.

Normal Cubes - With no Queen or Liaison in charge, they are still dangerous but not that dangerous. Because they are stuck with protocols to follow, it is harder to adapt to irrational opponents, as they do not understand what to expect from the target.

That is why, IMO, if they didn't had a Queen like entity, the Borg would have been extinct long ago. Only if their goal is to seek perfection. If its to conquer alone, then they don't need a Queen.

Since its not the latter, then they do need a Queen like being. This is probably what the original race was thinking also, when they start the "Borg Project" as I call it, lol

they know that a computerized thinking alone won't get them what they are after.

:P

2. Lost:

That depends on how its been viewed. To Starfleet & the rest of the Alpha Quadrant, Voyager is "lost".

Another meaning

- Parted with; no longer held or possessed;

they are no longer with the ones they love, their home & all.

:clap:

Lol...Nice one Sam :D

What set Voyager apart:

Unlike the previous series, Voyager was taking 'where no man has gone before' to an extreme. They were on their own and could not rely on Star Fleet or the Federation. They had to rely on their skills and resourcefulness.

Also, the show had some amazing characters; Janeway, the Doc, B'Elanna and Seven were all complicated (yes, I do inculde Seven as complicated) and deep characters. Plus the three smartest most creative people on board were women. And they all were attractive and kicked butt.

Voyager found a medium that some of the series lacked, but Voyager lacked some of the special attention from the producers that TNG got. The same went for DS9, there was just too much happening with Star Trek for all the fans to become attatched.

I agree with most of what u said Vold

and of course the 70,000 Light Years bit also and the fact that they were in the Last unexplored part of the Galaxy ("Delta Quadrant")

Archer-Pike-Kirk-Picard all explored just the "Alpha Quadrant"

Sisko explored the "Gamma Quadrant" via the First Stable Wormhole

And Jeanway was the First to explore the "Delta Quadrant" thanks on the part of the Caretakers interference while trying to head back home to Earth.

akin to TOS but in a Different part of the Galaxy

"Delta Quadrant"

and what also set it apart from the other series was the fact that there were also Maquis on Board as apart of the Crew and having a former Borg regain her Humanity back sort of one step further than Hugh of TNG ("I,Borg")

:D:D:D B)

Voyager wasn't just an official trained crew. There were people on board who'd never been really connected with the Marquis; Neelix, Kes, Seven, the Marquis.

Star Trek Voyager does have that close knit family feel to it. Capt. Katherine Janeway is more like a mother hen when it comes to her crew. I guess you would have to feel that way since you are responsible for all the lives aboard your ship. Capt. Janeway feels like she has to mother her crew afterall she did get them stranded in the Delta Quadrant. She feels obligated.

Star Trek Voyager is a good show but I think TNG is a little better but that's just me. For those who never have watched this series watch a few episodes from each season and see if it is worth getting on DVD. I did enjoy the show when it was on the air. :D

My Older Brother Loved Voyager. It Was A Nice Fresh Trek...In That They Didn't Have A Clue Who Or What Was All Around Them...Save For The Borg.

One Thing About Voyager That We Found Annoying Was That It Got To Where We Could Figure Out The Plot Not Long Into. He Even Once Had Figured Out Before The Teaser Ended, And Low And Behold...He Was Right. :picard-sith:

In my honest opinion, Voyager was the best season ever. Why?

Janeway.

She was the best captain. She didn't buckle under pressure, she got down and dirty with her crew. She was a mother hen, put her crew before herself. Sometimes, her own devotion to her crew lead her to forget about herself. Never in the history will you ever find a crew like this. So close-kniw that they know all about each other. They cared about each other. Maybe that's what seven years together can do to you, but I'm not apologising.

The new-alien-everyday thing had me intrigued. How could it even be possible to meet so many different people, all in such a short time?

The first two season might have been a bit slow, but I loved them all the same! Along with all the other seasons, of course :o