Sign in to follow this  
RikerChick

Sleep Disorders

Do you suffer from a sleep disorder?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from a sleep disorder?

• Insomnia
    • Narcolepsy
    • Sleep Apnea
    • Restless Legs Syndrome
    • Sleep Walking
    • Sleep Paralysis with or without Hag Phenomena
    • Bruxism
    • Fibromyalgia
    • Hypersomnia
    • Sleep Terrors
    • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    • Sundowners
    • other

I was chatting with Takara about my sleep disorder and thought I'd see who else has one. I suffer from sleep paralysis with hag phenomena.

Click for Spoiler:

sleep paralysis

Sleep paralysis consists of a period of inability to perform voluntary movements either at sleep onset (called hypnogogic or predormital form) or upon awakening (called hypnopompic or postdormtal form).

hag phenomena

The Common Sleep Paralysis usually only lasts from seconds to 1 minute in total, though sometimes it can go a little longer. The Hag/Hallucinatory Sleep Paralysis is experienced when ‘hypnogogic’(inability to perform voluntary movements during sleep) hallucinations are present. During these times, a person will feel as if someone is in the room with them – usually an evil or fearful presence. Some go further and feel as though someone or something is actually sitting on them and they feel like they are going to suffocate or die. Experiencing this can cause a person much anxiety and fear, but there is no physical harm involved.

The Hallucinatory Sleep Paralysis is different from Common Sleep Paralysis because it can last up to 8 minutes long and, due to nightmarish hallucinations, is usually an extremely frightening experience.

sleep walking

Sleepwalking (Somnambulism) is a series of complex behaviors that are initiated during slow wave sleep and result in walking during sleep.

sleep terrors

Sleep Terrors are characterized by a sudden arousal from slow wave sleep with a piercing scream or cry, accompanied by autonomic (Controlled by the part of the nervous system that regulates motor functions of the heart, lungs, etc.) and behavioral manifestations of intense fear.

bruxism

Sleep Bruxism is a stereotyped movement disorder characterized by grinding or clenching of the teeth during sleep. The disorder has also been identified as nocturnal bruxism, nocturnal tooth-grinding and nocturnal tooth-clenching.

fibromyalgia

Fibromyalgia is a disorder involving chronic pain in your muscles, ligaments and tendons. Fibromyalgia is also known as Fibromyositsis, rheumatic pain modulation disorder or Fibrositis Syndrome.

hypersomnia

Hypersomnia is excessive sleepiness. It is an excessively deep or prolonged major sleep period. It may be associated with difficulty in awakening. It is believed to be caused by the central nervous system and can be associated with a normal or prolonged major sleep episode and excessive sleepiness consisting of prolonged (1-2 hours) sleep episodes of non-REM sleep.

insomnia

Chronic inability to fall asleep or remain asleep for an adequate length of time

narcolepsy

A disorder characterized by sudden and uncontrollable, though often brief, attacks of deep sleep, sometimes accompanied by paralysis and hallucinations.

Sleep Apnea

A temporary suspension of breathing occurring repeatedly during sleep that often affects overweight people or those having an obstruction in the breathing tract, an abnormally small throat opening, or a neurological disorder.

restless legs syndrome

feeling of uneasiness and restlessness in the legs after going to bed (sometimes causing insomnia); may be relieved temporarily by walking or moving the legs

chronic fatigue syndrome (not exactly a sleep disorder but I included it)

A syndrome characterized by debilitating fatigue and a combination of flulike symptoms such as sore throat, swollen lymph glands, low-grade fever, headaches, and muscle pain or weakness.

I suffer occassional bouts of insomnia and hypersomnia. I suffer from clinical depression and sleep problems are a characteristic of depression. I've been pretty good lately but I do go through stretches where I'm getting 2 or 3 hours of sleep at night to times when I sleep for 14 - 16 hours of the day.

I had, insomnia this earlier this year that I ended up fainting in class. Warranting taking a month off of school to get rest.

I suffered from sleep walking when I was a child. It scared the h*ll out of my mother because we have a lot of stairs in our house. So she locked the door to our apartment to make sure I do not go downstairs (though I doubt that I would have fallen down the stairs because I heard that sleep walkers somehow know exactly what they are doing - they just don't remember doing it the next morning). She still locks it today though the sleep walking seems to have stopped. But it can occur again any time. :grin:

Mrs. Captain Picard

You forgot one I work with older people (granmas and granpas).

They wont sleep at night because they are afriad they wont wake up

Its called Sundowners

This sounds terrible. I've had a few of these things happen to me in my life like sleep walking, night terrors, and that crazy jumping leg thing so bad I actually ripped some cartilage in my knee. But all these things went away after a short time. I found there was usually a remedy for each thing. And the problems were physcologicaly based. Except for the leg thing that was a deficiecy in potassium and calcium which was pretty easy to remedy. Sorry guys, that your having so much trouble with these things. Sleep disorders really affect a person too when they are trying to function during the day because you don't get the sleep you need. :grin:

You  forgot one  I work with older people (granmas and granpas).

They wont sleep at night because they are afriad they wont wake up

Its called Sundowners

I never heard of that. Oh that's awful. :grin: I added it and an other option.

I suffer bouts of Insomnia, you can all usually track this when you see me on the board for 36 hours in a row lol. But I believe I have experienced Sleep Paralysis on only one occasion. When I was in the Army I was laying in my bunk asleep, when I woke up I was only awake enough to know that I was awake though. I remember laying there unable to move, open my eyes, talk or do anything at all except lay there. I also remember thinking... "This is interesting... and actually pretty cool" lol

I just figured I was still asleep but conscience of the fact and aware of the fact that I was asleep. I knew I wasn't dreaming though and I was able, after a moment to force myself to move but it did take a purpose effort on my part to do it. It only happened that one time though and stuck out in my mind because of how strange the experience was.

I suffer bouts of Insomnia, you can all usually track this when you see me on the board for 36 hours in a row lol. But I believe I have experienced Sleep Paralysis on only one occasion. When I was in the Army I was laying in my bunk asleep, when I woke up I was only awake enough to know that I was awake though. I remember laying there unable to move, open my eyes, talk or do anything at all except lay there. I also remember thinking... "This is interesting... and actually pretty cool" lol

I just figured I was still asleep but conscience of the fact and aware of the fact that I was asleep. I knew I wasn't dreaming though and I was able, after a moment to force myself to move but it did take a purpose effort on my part to do it. It only happened that one time  though and stuck out in my mind because of how strange the experience was.

Yup, that's sleep paralysis. You weren't sleeping though. What happens is your mind is awake but the hormones that keep you from basically acting out your dreams while your sleeping are still keeping your body frozen. Most people experience it at least once in their life. I becomes a problem when it's a regular thing and/or, like me, you have hallucinations while it's happening. For me it usually starts happening when the weather changes which is what got me thinking about it. Since it's warming up I'm probably due for an episode soon. I could deal with the paralysis part but the hallucinations are terrifying.

I had that happen when I had a very tough flu bug. It felt like I tied up and I saw a Klingon standing on my chest about to stab me, it was so freaky and so real.

I saw a special on sleep once and they discussed the hag phenomena and offered it as a possible explanation of the alien abduction stories. I guess throughout history people have attached different explanations to it.

If they ever run that series again it is a good one to watch it was a three parter on TLC or Discovery and it was very interesting.

I"ve been having insomnia more often than usual - since my mother and one of my older sisters suffer from it I am not encouraged for the future.

I had that happen when I had a very tough flu bug. It felt like I tied up and I saw a Klingon standing on my chest about to stab me, it was so freaky and so real.

Too much cough syrup, Nem?

I think I might have insomnia because sometimes it takes me 1-2 hours to get to sleep but I haven't seen anyone about it.

I also drool a lot but I don't think that's a disorder.

I have also sleepwalked a few times.

Once I sleepwalked into the kitchen while my mum was there and said, "Why aren't you building the rocket like i asked you to?!" but she knew what was going on and played along. She's a nurse.

And my mum says I snore.

Edited by thedoctor

I also drool a lot but I don't think that's a disorder.

No thats just having really nice dreams :laugh: hehehe

Oh ho ho!! Never thought of that. They really did mean it when they said in your dreams! <-- btw that is a joke.

I really do remember a couple of "really nice dreams" but I won't go into detail. :laugh:

Edited by thedoctor

I suffer from depression and get insomnia as part of it. I tend to do 40+hrs minus sleep 4 hrs of and another 40 or more minus. It riles my family as it disturbs them too.

As a child I had sleep paralysis, usually in times of high stress, I always felt as though I was being tied down.

When my dad was being treated for cancer (I was 16) I had one of these bouts and swore blind I was being abducted by aliens, I stopped myself sleeping for three days in terror.

I have insomnia. It's something you just learn to live with. I have also experienced sleep paralysis, the 1st time it really freaked me out. For a moment I thought I was still asleep.

I saw a special on sleep once and they discussed the hag phenomena and offered it as a possible explanation of the alien abduction stories.

I saw that too and it made a lot of sense to me. If I didn't know the explanation for it I'd be freaked out beyond words.

Insomnia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (sometimes)

:)

Live Long and PRosper

Keep on Trekkin'

I have insomnia, the pain in my back stops me from getting to sleep then when I eventually nod off it wakes me up.

I just figured I was still asleep but conscience of the fact and aware of the fact that I was asleep. I knew I wasn't dreaming though and I was able, after a moment to force myself to move but it did take a purpose effort on my part to do it. It only happened that one time  though and stuck out in my mind because of how strange the experience was.

Yup, that's sleep paralysis. You weren't sleeping though. What happens is your mind is awake but the hormones that keep you from basically acting out your dreams while your sleeping are still keeping your body frozen. Most people experience it at least once in their life. I becomes a problem when it's a regular thing and/or, like me, you have hallucinations while it's happening. For me it usually starts happening when the weather changes which is what got me thinking about it. Since it's warming up I'm probably due for an episode soon. I could deal with the paralysis part but the hallucinations are terrifying.

I believe this disorder, (which has happened to me and is my vote) is now used to explain "alien abductions".

I kind of have a sleep disorder if I have a bad dream and I toss and turning alot at night aswell

I believe this disorder, (which has happened to me and is my vote) is now used to explain "alien abductions".

Yeah I've heard that too and it makes a lot of sense. This hasn't happened to me in quite a while now, thank goodness.

I don't think I had a sleep disorder when this thread was started but I have had insomnia for about four years now - falling asleep is easy - I just can't stay asleep. What did people do at 3:30 am before computers.

I don't think I had a sleep disorder when this thread was started but I have had insomnia for about four years now - falling asleep is easy - I just can't stay asleep. What did people do at 3:30 am before computers.

Infomercials lol