Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Data After Nemesis

There has been much debate over Data's fate at the end of Nemesis. There are those who believe he is gone for good and then there are those of us who believe he survived somehow and will be back.

Lessa and I wrote a story for our website that starts at the end of the Nemesis and I wanted to share with you how we brought Data back. This excerpt has a G rating but if you wish to read the whole story it is NC17. It can be found at DataLoreFiction under Data Index. The title of the story is Second Chance.

Click for Spoiler:

As Data made his way on to the bridge of the Scimitar, he could hear the computer counting down the few remaining seconds before the thalaron radiation weapon would be ready to fire upon the Enterprise. He knew he did not have time to disarm the weapon, leaving only one alternative to save the Enterprise and her crew. He saw a flash of light coming from the top of a set of stairs and rushed towards it. His eyes immediately fixed on Captain Picard as he stood pinned against a wall by an impaled Shinzon. Data moved quickly to push aside the lifeless body of Picard’s clone before attaching the emergency transport device he was carrying to Picard’s uniform. Data activated the transporter and watched as Picard dematerialized in front of him.

“Good-bye,” Data whispered before turning his phaser towards the thalaron intermix chamber and firing. An intense white light enveloped Data as the explosion ripped through the Reman ship, destroying it.

Data looked around, but all he could see was white. Everything was white. This surprised him, as did the fact he appeared to be in one piece, undamaged by the explosion. He slowly moved forward, looking around intently trying to find a clue to what had happened. Suddenly, he saw the outline of a figure emanating from a white light. He couldn’t make out whom or what this figure dressed in a white hooded robe was.

“Excuse me, I am Lieutenant Commander Data,” he called out as he moved slowly toward the mysterious figure. “May I inquire as to whom you are?”

The figure slowly stepped out of the light, raised what appeared to be human hands and began to push the hood back. As the figure’s face became revealed, Data heard a familiar voice.

“Well, if it isn’t my old professor of the humanities.”

“Q!” Data exclaimed.

“That’s right, Data,” Q smirked. “Surprise!”

“Q, why am I here? Where is this place?” Data asked.

“Come now, is that any way to greet an old friend?” Q asked smugly.

“Please answer my questions, Q.”

“I suppose you wouldn’t believe me if I said this is heaven and I am God. Jean-Luc had his doubts so I’m sure I couldn’t convince you. However, Data, I’m here to give you the same opportunity I gave to your captain. A chance to save your life by changing something from your past, something you regret.”

“Captain Picard shared with me his experience. He discovered that by pulling on one thread, the tapestry that is his life changed completely. I do not wish to change anything. While there are moments of my life I may wish to have again, I learned from Captain Picard’s experience. I would not wish to change anything if it means I would lose the friendship of my crewmates.”

“So you would rather your circuits and servos be floating through space than change anything?” Q noted.

“While I would prefer to remain alive, yes, I would sacrifice my life again if it meant saving the Enterprise and the lives of my friends and crewmates.”

“Even though you don’t want to change anything, I do. You saved my life when I was a mere mortal and now I am going to save yours.”

There was a sudden flash of light and Data found himself alone in this place.

It had taken a week to bring the Enterprise-E back to Earth. The damage she had sustained would take another month to repair. During that time many changes were going to occur. Captain Riker and Counselor Troi would soon be leaving for Riker’s new command on the Titan. Dr. Crusher was leaving for her position at StarFleet Medical in a few days. Picard was going to miss his friends...his family. But mostly he was missing Data.

The idea of having a new first officer who was not Data still seemed obscene to him but Picard knew he would have to accept this eventuality. Data was dead and he couldn’t change that, no matter how much he wanted to. He also couldn’t stop the sense of betrayal he felt. Admiral Haftel ordered B4 moved to StarFleet Research just as he had ordered Lal there so many years before. This time, Picard had no defense to stop the transfer. Lal had reached sentience, B4 had not. As soon as the Enterprise arrived, B4 was lead away. Picard barely had the opportunity to speak to the android before they took him away.

Picard was sitting in his ready room, reading over reports on how the ship’s repairs were progressing, when he saw a flash of light and realized he was no longer alone.

“Q!” Picard exclaimed, irritation instantly coloring his tone.

“Greetings mon capitaine. It has been a long time since we last saw each other, hasn’t it?” Q looked at the uniform he was wearing before commenting. “These new uniforms are rather drab. I much prefer my old colors. They were much more cheery, weren’t they?”

“What do you want, Q?” Picard asked, impatiently.

“Come now! I don’t want anything. I’m here to give!” he smiled sheepishly.

Suddenly, Picard found himself sitting in his chair on the bridge. There were more flashes of light as Will Riker, Deanna Troi and Beverly Crusher now appeared. Geordi La Forge and Worf were on the bridge, feeling the shock of the sudden appearance of their friends and Q.

“Now that I have you together, it’s time for my gift. Jean-Luc, you’ve always been the closest thing to a friend that I’ve had and I want to thank you for the fun we’ve shared together over the past fifteen years. There is someone else that I wanted to thank but, alas, poor Data is not here.”

“Q, that’s enough. I don’t want you tormenting us in our time of grief!” Picard admonished, his impatience moving into something akin to rage.

“But mon capitaine, I’m not here to torment. I’m here to relieve that torment,” Q answered as though insulted by Picard’s words. “I have come to repay a debt that I owe, not only to you but to Mr. Data as well.”

There was another flash of light and suddenly Data appeared on the bridge of the Enterprise.

“Data!” everyone exclaimed, stunned to see their friend before them, alive and whole.

“Q, what have you done? Have you changed my past to bring me here?” Data asked. “I requested you not do that!”

“No, Data. I haven’t changed your past. I’ve changed your future,” Q proclaimed. “Jean-Luc, I return to you your friend and new first officer. I have paid my debt to you, mon capitaine. Mr. Data, I owe you a little more. I have two more payments for you and then my indebtedness to you will be gone. The first is this.” Q now held a small computer chip in his fingers.

“My emotion chip?” Data sounded confused. “But the Borg Queen damaged it so it no longer functions.”

“It does now.” The omnipotent being had a twinkle in his eyes and a bright grin on his face. There was another flash of light as the chip disappeared, however, Data’s reaction indicated the chip was once again functioning within his neural net.

“My final payment is a little different, Data. I will be placing a treasure on this ship and you will have to find it,” Q grinned with anticipation.

“A treasure?” Data questioned.

“Yes, Data, a treasure, but not the type of treasure that you’re thinking. This treasure has to do with emotions.” Q paused for effect before continuing. “Many of your closest friends are leaving for new challenges and some of your crewmates were lost in battle. There will be many familiar faces on the Enterprise when she leaves dry dock as well as many new ones. One of these faces belongs to a special woman, Data, and she is your treasure. I’m not going to make things easy though. You must find her yourself, Data, but she will be here. And now my time here must end. Enjoy this second chance I have given you, Data. There won’t be a third.”

“Thank you, Q. I am very happy to be back” Data smiled, still dismayed at all of this.

“Yes, Q. Thank you, from all of us,” Picard added, stunned, but wondering if there was still a catch to all this.

With a flash of light, Q was gone. Data’s friends rushed to him, exchanging hugs and tears over their friend’s return. They all wanted to touch him as if to make sure he really stood before them.

“This calls for a celebration!” Picard announced. “But first, Mr. Data, may I see you in my ready room?”

“Of course, Captain,” Data replied.

NC-17 is the same as either "R" or "X" in movies.It means "Graphic and adult situations" basically it means "THERE BE SEX IN THIS STORY"

hope that helps

Here in the U.S, Rated-R doesn't neccessarilly mean sex will be in it, but that the movie "may" contain violence, profanity, nudity, sexuallity, and so forth. Usually, when I see an R-tated movie, it's for the violence and "maybe" a briefe scene of nudity which is usually avoidable.

We're getting off topic here guys. The point of this thread is to show how Data can be brought back. This is how Lessa and I wrote it and I hope others will share how they think Data could be brought back.

oops, sos.

it is a good story, and i that would be kool if it was made into a movie!

*gotta read it all!* ;) , well ok, maybe not a MOVIE, but if it was published, it would be kool

(certain scenes edited, of course)

Edited by LordOfTheBorg

We're getting off topic here guys. The point of this thread is to show how Data can be brought back. This is how Lessa and I wrote it and I hope others will share how they think Data could be brought back.

Well, I just wanted to know what NC-17 ment. Anywho, I read part of your excerpt. You're writing is VERY good! If you ever write PG or PG-13 short stories about Trek, feel free to PM me with a link. ;)

I believe that Data's head is floating out in space all ready to be attached to B4's body.

What happend to B4 in the post-Nemesis non-canon Trek novels?

nemesis.jpg

This is whole separate topic, however I am a huge Star Trek fan, but I tend to stay away from most non-canon items. If I read a half dozen novels based on Romulan characters and their society, then along comes Nemesis with its entire Reman offical canon I'd just feel like all those books are garbage. Just my feeling on the matter mind you.

you and I think alike then. I've said that about the Star Trek Titan book series. If they made a Titan TV series and it was completely different from the novels, I'd feel the novels are garbage. (last off topic post from me, I hope. lol. :unsure: )

It just debunks everything you invested time to read/money to buy and whatnot. I read three Trek novels as a teen and something in offical canon debunked what I just read and I stopped the non-canon stuff right there. That's just for me, there are many Trekkers out there that love the non-canon stuff and thats super! :unsure:

Back on topic. :unsure:

If there was an entire series of novels with Data's head getting attached to B-4's body (not a bad idea by the way) and Paramount ever got back to Next Gen. I'd say that group of stories would be highly vunerable to being debunked by offical canon if the screen writers went in a different direction.

Edited by DaboGirl

I doubt that there could be a series with a return of Data, because Brent feels himself old and he doesn't want any more to play Data...

Have we all forgotten something here? I mean there is a fully functional Data head and body buried in an abandoned mine below San Francisco, and both Picard and Guinan know where it is.

As for R ratings, a lot of people say there is more smut coming out of Hollywood now than, say, 30 years ago. (I don't agree, but that is a separate issue.) One of the statistics driving this is that there are more R-rated movies now than 30 years ago. However, the threshold for achieving an R rating has also got a lot lower. The Blue Lagoon, for example, got an R rating, and it got a couple Best Picture awards, but today the movie would be illegal to make since it shows underage sex and nudity by (st the time) underage actors.

I always kind of figured that B4 would eventually assimilate all of Data's information that was downloaded to him, since at the end of Nemesis you catch

B4 singing that song..

I don't think anyone disputes B4 had the information stored in Data's chips (save for things Data wouldn't have been allowed to share - security passwords and such). Whether B4 was developed enough to use that information is another matter.

Good for you, bringing back the finest android ever! It should never have happened in the first place, with all due respect to Brent and John Logan, who I do think brought a good story to the scren, otherwise. I, too, write, but I have in considering Data as a continuing character convieniently ignored the fact that he died in the detonation of the Scimitar. That's the great thing about bein a fan-writer...you can mold the trek universe to one's particular passions, as it were. Keep on doin' your thing!

Unofficially, Data is alive! According to the new Countdown story;

Click for Spoiler:

in the 8 years since NEM, B4's assimilation of Data's download is now complete. He has become Captain of the Enterprise.