Sign in to follow this  
Vic

'Star Trek XI' Actors Look To Their Predecessors

The actors taking on the challenge of redoing famous

By T'Bonz

March 7, 2008 - 10:28 PM

Many of the actors taking on the role of Star Trek's original characters in Star Trek XI have tried to connect somehow with the original actors who made the roles famous.

As reported by USA Today, actors in Star Trek XI have looked to the original actors for inspiration, clarification and affirmation.

Chris Pine (Kirk), who has had his hair lightened to more resemble William Shatner's Kirk, wrote his predecessor a letter. "I'm not trying to copy what you did," the letter said. Shatner responded by writing back and wishing him luck. He did advise Pine to "Just act straightforward."

Zachary Quinto was able to see Leonard Nimoy personally, as Nimoy is reprising his role of Spock in Star Trek XI. Nimoy's advice to him was to avoid wearing the Spock ears when not on film, so that his chances of being stereotyped would be less.

Zoe Saldana met Nichelle Nichols and called meeting her a "life-changing event." "She came to visit," said Saldana, "and we were able to talk and hold hands. She's an icon. I have nothing but appreciation for what they were fighting for."

The actor playing Chekov, Anton Yelchin has not yet met or communicated with Walter Koenig. "I haven't met him," he said. "No letter yet. I just hope he's OK with me doing this. I guess I'm afraid I'd get a letter back saying, 'Yeah, thanks a lot!'"

To read more from the new Star Trek XI actors and to see a picture slide show, head to the link located here.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/070308_01.shtml

Edited by Alterego