Sign in to follow this  
NordicBearskin

What's the BEST Star Trek book you have ever read?

SpaceHippie and cyphrx, thanks for the kind words about The 34th Rule and Serpents Among the Ruins.

258999[/snapback]

Welcome to the site, I haven't had the chance to read your books yet but The 34th Rule has been one that caught my eye and when I have time to sit down with a book that one just might be the one. I've always loved the Ferengi episodes on DS9.

At the current moment, I own your Lost Era novel, but have yet to read it...

Click For Spoiler
B0000CG2M3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
But it certainly appears to be a good read, judging from the back of thy book. :)

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Edited by drwho42

The BEST STar Trek book that I have read is "Spock's World." Its a must read for anyone who is a Vulcan fan.

Click For Spoiler
n8764.jpg

Welcome to the site, I haven't had the chance to read your books yet but The 34th Rule has been one that caught my eye and when I have time to sit down with a book that one just might be the one. I've always loved the Ferengi episodes on DS9.

260117[/snapback]

Thanks for the welcome, Kevin. If you ever do decide to read one of my novels, I'd be interested to hear what you think of it, for good or ill. If you're a fan of the Ferengi episodes on "Deep Space Nine," though, I'm not sure that will translate into your enjoyment of The 34th Rule. Many of the Ferengi episodes tended to be lighter in tone than the rest of the series, with Quark often utilized as comic relief. The 34th Rule bucks that trend, and is a serious story. Again, if you ever do read it, I'd love to hear your opinion.

At the current moment, I own your Lost Era novel, but have yet to read it...But it certainly appears to be a good read, judging from the back of thy book.

260120[/snapback]

Don't you know that you should never judge a book by its cover? :)

260117[/snapback]

Thanks for the welcome, Kevin. If you ever do decide to read one of my novels, I'd be interested to hear what you think of it, for good or ill. If you're a fan of the Ferengi episodes on "Deep Space Nine," though, I'm not sure that will translate into your enjoyment of The 34th Rule. Many of the Ferengi episodes tended to be lighter in tone than the rest of the series, with Quark often utilized as comic relief. The 34th Rule bucks that trend, and is a serious story. Again, if you ever do read it, I'd love to hear your opinion.

At the current moment, I own your Lost Era novel, but have yet to read it...But it certainly appears to be a good read, judging from the back of thy book.

260120[/snapback]

Don't you know that you should never judge a book by its cover? :)

260146[/snapback]

I enjoyed all of the Ferengi stories, both the lighter side and the more serious aspects. For me, DS9 was by far the very best of any of the Trek series though and anything associated with DS9 always attracts my attention.

To me though the Ferengi always seemed more like 20th century humans then the 24th century humans do. The Ferengi have financial ambitions, their flaws are more out in the open and they have shown their adaptability through Nog becoming a Starfleet officer and even through Quark adapting to both the Cardassians and Federation. So it's true that they were used for comic relief for the most part but I saw the characters and the race as being much deeper and with a lot of potential for future stories. When I get a chance to read 34th Rule I will post a review on it.

I enjoyed all of the Ferengi stories, both the lighter side and the more serious aspects. For me, DS9 was by far the very best of any of the Trek series though and anything associated with DS9 always attracts my attention.

260148[/snapback]

Since you enjoy "Deep Space Nine" so much, Kevin, have you read any of the novels set after the last episode of the series? So far, there have been more than a dozen core titles:

The second and third of Worlds of Deep Space Nine will be published in January and February of 2005, respectively. Personally, I loved the "DS9" series, and I find these books a worthy continuation of the show.

To me though the Ferengi always seemed more like 20th century humans then the 24th century humans do. The Ferengi have financial ambitions, their flaws are more out in the open and they have shown their adaptability through Nog becoming a Starfleet officer and even through Quark adapting to both the Cardassians and Federation. So it's true that they were used for comic relief for the most part but I saw the characters and the race as being much deeper and with a lot of potential for future stories. When I get a chance to read 34th Rule I will post a review on it.

260148[/snapback]

That's "Star Trek" at its finest to me, when it uses the circumstances of the future as metaphor and allegory for those of today. I hope you find The 34th Rule to your liking.

Guest Ktrek

Not being connected with David R. George III in any way I would also recommend his books. His "Serpent Among The Ruins" rates as one of my all time favorite Trek books and I have read a lot of them. The book totally redeems Harriman's character and shows him to be the kind of Captain we all knew he must have been to have ever gotten a captaincy.

Kevin

Guest Ktrek

^^^ Anytime David! :b-day: I'm looking for that next book! When and what will it be? oh and by the way you can send that check to........

Just kidding! :b-day:

Kevin

Edited by Ktrek

I'm looking for that next book! When and what will it be?

260837[/snapback]

Kevin, my next novel will be published five months from now, in February 2005. It is entitled Olympus Descending, and will be one of two short novels to appear in Worlds of Deep Space Nine, Volume Three. The conceit of the three-book series is that each of the six novels will continue the "Deep Space Nine" story forward, focusing on a single world. In Volume One, The Lotus Flower and Paradigm explore Cardassia and Andor, respectively, and in Volume Two, the tales involve Trill and Bajor. In Volume Three, Keith R.A. DeCandido's Satisfaction Is Not Guaranteed tells a story of Ferenginar, and my own Olympus Descending is a Dominion story.

After that, I'll have a Demora Sulu short story appearing in the Tales From the Captain's Table anthology (tentatively scheduled for next July), and then in 2006, I'll have an original series trilogy released in celebration of the show's fortieth anniversary.

oh and by the way you can send that check to...

260837[/snapback]

Please make it payable to "Cash"... :b-day:

Guest Ktrek
After that, I'll have a Demora Sulu short story appearing in the Tales From the Captain's Table anthology (tentatively scheduled for next July), and then in 2006, I'll have an original series trilogy released in celebration of the show's fortieth anniversary.

Ooh! A trilogy! Sounds cool!! I can't wait to see what dangers you place the original series crew in and save their butts once again! :huh:

Kevin