Sign in to follow this  
master_q

El Paso I-10 “no longer on a fast track”?

El Paso I-10 “no longer on a fast track”

To be dedicated to Gene Roddenberry

"AUSTIN -- The naming of the El Paso portion of I-10 for "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry is no longer on a fast track.

Legislation by Rep. Pat Haggerty, R-El Paso, to honor the El Paso native sailed through the House Border and International Affairs Committee and only lack of a quorum prevented a vote to place it on the local and consent calendar.

No one opposed the idea when Haggerty presented the bill before the committee. But news of the effort kicked up some opposition the following day in El Paso.

"It's no longer a slam dunk," says Border Chairwoman Norma Chávez, D-El Paso. "It's created a lot of interest, but some opposition is starting to hit from El Paso."

The El Paso City Council is scheduled to discuss it Tuesday.

Some opponents wonder what Roddenberry has done for El Paso to justify renaming a freeway. Henry Garcia of Clint referred to Roddenberry as "anti-Christian" in e-mails to local and state officials.

"I don't know what kind of staffs you folks in the legislature have, but I can tell you that if this gets passed, it will create the biggest stir since Chagra had the judge killed," Garcia said in his correspondence. "I strongly suggest that you pull that bill from the state legislature or be the laughingstock of the nation."

El Paso City Rep. Larry Medina says he agrees with Garcia and others who oppose the idea.

Though Roddenberry was born in El Paso, he "never did give a second thought to our great city," Medina says.

Roddenberry was born in El Paso 81 years ago at 1907 E. Yandell but spent most of his childhood in Los Angeles.

Supporters of naming El Paso's I-10 for Roddenberry created a Web site: www.grmhpetition.org/

El Pasoan Terri Donawell created the Web site last year. She's not bothered by debate over the issue because it's part of democracy, she says.

"We all can have our say in this country, as well as our views. It is not up to me to judge or wonder about anybody's motivation for or against," she says. "I think it is a good way to tribute El Paso's most famous native son -- others have the same tribute in this city that did not even come from here. And if the tribute also brings in tourism, that's great."

Legislators are smart enough "to sift through what is real and what isn't. My only real concern is that we might run out of time," says Donawell, a legal assistant and longtime El Pasoan.

She and other Trekkies contend that Roddenberry was not anti-Christian and that his religious beliefs shouldn't matter. Haggerty says the flap doesn't surprise him because any effort to name something for someone usually draws both support and opposition.

Gary Scharrer may be reached at gscharrer@elpasotimes.com"

~El Paso Times

http://www.borderlandnews.com/stories/bord...20-103415.shtml

What do you think?

Do you think they should name it after him?

To respond to this message and give your input: Click Here

{Please lock this and then if you like you can edit this out}

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com